Want to avoid the gristle, and get right to the skinny? Then click below to learn about our top three butcher box reviews. Otherwise read on…
Why are more shoppers turning to meat subscription boxes and seafood delivery services?
Did you know that meat subscription boxes, otherwise known as butcher boxes are on the rise? It seems more and more, people are cluing into the benefits of meat delivery services. And the reasons are obvious; convenience and a better range of products.
In these fast paced days we all want high quality meat. However, we don’t always find what we are looking for at the market. As well, we don’t always have the time to drive long distances to find it.
Specialty shops and butchers are few and far between these days.
In 1996, the Federal Meat Inspection Act (FMIA) was “updated” by then President Bill Clinton. Cited for improved sanitation, it simultaneously took the onus of inspection for butchered meat out of the hands of local butchers and into the hands of industrial meat producers.
“Clinton said this will change by placing the major responsibility for safe meat and poultry on the industry and insisting that they meet high standards for cleanliness and reduced bacteria.” (recordnet.com)
What does this mean for the consumer?
This amendment to the 1906 bill drastically changed the scope of local meat ecosystems. Subsequently, many small butchers were not able to afford the steps required to meet these new regulations. This caused them to shudder their doors. Many people will blame the convenience of supermarkets for the drop-off of local butcheries. But, if you speak to butchers, you may find it has more to do with FMIA.
That said, if you travel outside the US, you will still find many independent butcher shops and local meat markets.
I recently moved to Europe, and I have to say, I love going to my local butcher. Spend time with the farmer (or the one who knows the farmer). This lends invaluable insight into what you are buying and eating. I enjoy choosing a choice cut of either grass fed ground beef. Some opt for specific cuts of beef pork. Still others want truly free range chicken. Many shoppers like to inspect the cut, the gristle to meat ratio, and discussing the growing practices. This is a very refreshing shift from my experience in the states.
Still, it does require a commitment of time to go to the market. As well, only buying what you can consume without it going bad requires frequent return trips. Sure, you can freeze meat, but that requires ample freezer space. In my small, European domicile, I don’t have that luxury. Hence, a food delivery service would still be a perk when my schedule is full. Having regular butcher boxes delivered to my door would tick one thing off my to-do list during busier times.
Wide Variety and Assured Farming Practices make butcher boxes a preferred way to procure meat.
Back in my hometown of Los Angeles, I could only find limited meat options at my two local grocery stores. What’s more, without being able to speak directly to the farmer or the butcher who knows the farmer (as in many European butcheries), it was hard to know what I was really paying for.
Eventually, I established that the only vendor I could trust for organic chicken in my area was an extremely pricey, high-end organic market. As a result, I also had to drive 20 minutes each way to get there.
Farming practices and standards vary country-to-county
Additionally, regulations that allow for organic certification in the US includes the use of antibiotics and vaccines. I didn’t want this in my meat. Every time I found a cut of meat I desired at the market, I had to stand in the food aisle. Next, I would pull out my cell phone, and contact the producer who was not always readily available. Then, I would leave an email asking about their farming methods. Rarely did an answer come readily. As a result, I never really knew what meat I was buying. I never knew if it truly met my requirements and had to take a salesperson’s word for it.
Then a friend told me about the benefits of meat delivery services and I never looked back!
With many meat delivery services, you find that the producers really care about their products. They will go into greater detail about their butcher boxes. Sometimes, they offer more information than even some European butchers. Whether it’s a discussion about chicken thighs, ground pork, or New York strip, you will most likely find what you’re looking for with a food subscription box.
Meat Delivery Services Offer an Advantage to Store Bought
Good news for sustainable meat farmers and consumers
Meat subscriptions have gained prominence in recent years, offering a hassle-free way to access premium cuts of meat and organic chicken too.
Being able to order meat online, and then days later receive your meat delivery box at your home cuts out the hassle of researching growing practices, ethicality, and purity of the meat you purchase.
Producers of online meat ordering services are often more than happy to share their standards on their home page!
Now, you can order high quality meat from a variety of producers who supply detailed information of how they run their farms and treat their animals. As well, with meat subscription boxes, especially the meat subscription boxes cost top of the month club boxes, you can discover a variety of other quality meat from options you may not have known about otherwise.
Understanding the meat subscription market
Meat subscription versus grocery store meat purchases
For many, especially in America, long gone are the days of going to your local butcher to pick out your choice meat. Butcher stores are far and few between and many do not carry the high quality meats and seafood you desire.
Better options such as meat of the month clubs (or meat box or meat delivery service in general) offer a variety of meat per box. They can include anything from free range organic chicken breasts to boneless pork chops. A full meat or chicken box delivery service subscription allows you to experiment with new flavors and cooking techniques. This makes mealtime more exciting.
Buying grass fed beef can be tricky.
Your local grocery store may offer pasture raised meat. But how do you know if you are going to get grass finished beef? How will you assure the growing practices employed by the farmer? How can you avoid overpaying for a subpar product?
Meat delivery may prove ROI for you and your family
Are you someone who lives in a household that consumes a consistent quantity of meat and/or seafood per month? If so, then you can set up auto ship service with a food subscription company. These companies often reward consistent customers with specials, discounts, and shipping deals.
Monthly Meat Boxes assure you get the best offerings for that yield.
Are meat subscription boxes worth the money?
Many consumers obviously want to know if a butcher box is a good deal.
Aside from the quality and convenience, I’m sure you may want to know if ordering meat online gives you better value for your money. In short, is it cheaper than store bought meat? Not all meat subscriptions cost the same. Determining price and product offerings is key to your return on investment.
This depends on a few criteria:
- Subscription Type: The cost-effectiveness of a meat subscription box may depend on the type of subscription you choose. Some services offer budget-friendly options, while others cater to those looking for premium and specialty cuts.
- Frequency: Consider how often you receive meat through the subscription. If you’re receiving meat more frequently than you would shop at a store, it can lead to higher monthly expenses.
- Shipping Costs: Factor in shipping costs. Boxes often include shipping in the price, but in some cases, you might pay extra for shipping, especially if you live in a remote location. Inquire if you can get an order minimum to allow for free shipping.
- Local Prices: The cost comparison can also vary depending on the local prices of meat in your area. In some cases, it can be a cost-effective way to access high-quality meat, especially if you live in an area with limited access to specialty cuts.
- Bulk Buying: Meat boxes often allow you to buy in bulk, which can lead to cost savings in the long run. You may save by purchasing larger quantities of meat, particularly if you have the storage space and plan to use it all.
- Promotions and Discounts: Many meat subscription services offer promotions, discounts, and introductory offers that can make the initial cost more appealing.
- Customization: Some subscription services allow you to customize your orders, which can help you control costs by choosing the types and quantities of meat that fit your budget.
Summing Up the Meat Buying ROI
In summary, whether meat subscriptions are cheaper than store-bought meat depends on your specific needs and preferences. While they may be more expensive for premium, ethically sourced, cuts of meat like that, they can offer convenience and value for those who prioritize the quality of their meat, especially if you’re in an area with limited access to high-quality cuts of meat. To determine the cost-effectiveness for your situation, it’s essential to compare prices, consider your consumption habits, and assess your budget.
This butcher box review will look at all aspects of the companies we approve for butcher box meats.
Our Favorite Meat Subscription Services
In this article, we’ll delve into the world of meat subscription boxes and compare some of the top players in the industry. We consider the top quality meats, growing practices, animal treatment and conditions. As well we look at box of meat offerings (pounds of meat per box, mixed box offers, medium or large box discounts). We also consider relative to variety and pricing. As well, we count in customer service, and shipping time.
Farm Foods Market: Prime Steaks and Grill Hero Bundles Butcher Boxes
FarmFoods is a company that prides itself on a set of core values that guide its operations and mission. These values are integral to the company’s identity. This is reflected in its commitment to sustainable agriculture, quality food production, and community engagement.
Here are some of the key values that FarmFoods upholds:
- Sustainability: FarmFoods places a strong emphasis on sustainable agriculture and responsible food production. They are dedicated to reducing their environmental impact by supporting farming practices that conserve natural resources. That includes reducing waste, and promote biodiversity. This commitment to sustainability helps ensure a healthy planet for future generations.
- Transparency: FarmFoods believes in providing consumers with clear and honest information about the sources of their food. They are committed to transparency in their supply chain. This enables customers to trace the journey of their food from the farm to their table. This openness fosters trust and empowers consumers to make informed choices.
- Quality: The quality of food is of paramount importance to FarmFoods. They work closely with local and sustainable farms to ensure that the products they offer are of the highest quality. By prioritizing quality over quantity, FarmFoods aims to deliver superior tasting, nutritious, and safe food to their customers.
- Community Engagement: FarmFoods recognizes the importance of strong, vibrant communities. They actively engage with local farmers and communities, fostering partnerships and contributing to the economic growth of rural areas. This commitment supports local economies and ensures that their customers have access to fresh, locally-produced food.
- Animal Welfare: FarmFoods is dedicated to raising and sourcing animal products with the highest standards of animal welfare. They believe in humane treatment and ethical practices in animal agriculture. This is not only morally responsible, but also results in better quality meat and dairy products.
- Health and Well-being: FarmFoods prioritizes the health and well-being of their customers. They promote a balanced, natural diet by providing access to unprocessed, nutrient-dense foods. By doing so, they contribute to the overall health and vitality of their consumers.
- Supporting Small Farms: FarmFoods recognizes the value of small-scale, family-owned farms. By working with these farms, they help support local, sustainable agriculture. They also ensure that small farmers have a market for their products. This strengthens rural communities and preserves traditional farming practices.
- Continuous Improvement: FarmFoods is committed to ongoing improvement in all aspects of their operations. This includes finding better, more sustainable farming methods. As well as enhancing the customer experience, and staying at the forefront of food safety and quality standards.
- Customer Focus: Above all, FarmFoods values its customers. They strive to understand and meet their needs. As well, they provide excellent service, and deliver products that not only meet but exceed expectations. Customer feedback is actively sought and used to drive positive change.
What we love about FarmFoods
FarmFoods offers a Build Your Own Box which makes an excellent gift for the holidays!
We think FarmFoods is truly one of the BEST meat subscription boxes out there
Want them to do the work for you?
FarmFoods is also offering a time-limited Prime Steaks Bundle. Talk about the ultimate in butcher boxes that makes the perfect gift.
4 interest-free installments, or from $21.66/mo with View sample plans
Perfect for a premium meal
In this pack you will get:
- 5 Grass-Fed Beef New York Steak (boneless)
- 5 Grass-Fed Beef Rib Eye Steak (boneless)
Grassfed and finished on pasture with no antibiotics or hormones.
100% Grass-Fed & Grass-Finished
AND FOR HIM the Grill Hero Bundle! So he can ELEVATE HIS GAME!!
Delight everyone with our Premium Selection of Grass-Fed American Steaks. As well, try our customer favorite: Ground Beef 80/20 for some mouth watering patties… 🤤
🥩 Supreme Quality: Our steaks are sourced from grass-fed cattle. This ensures a superior, rich, and full-bodied flavor profile that is both nutritious and delicious.
🌱 Health Benefits: Grass-fed beef is renowned for being leaner. It contains a higher concentration of beneficial nutrients like Omega-3 fatty acids and antioxidants. This contributes to a wholesome meal without compromising on taste.
They offer a range of all beef chicken and pork box top options. But two that stand out are their Prime Steaks and Grill Hero bundles beef chicken.
In summary, FarmFoods is dedicated to promoting a more sustainable, transparent, and community-oriented approach to food production and consumption. Their values are not just words but are evident in the actions. They support responsible farming provide consumers with high-quality, ethically sourced food options.
White Oak Pastures is not a meat delivery company per se, but rather a renowned and sustainable farm located in Bluffton, Georgia, USA. This family-owned farm has garnered a strong reputation for its commitment to regenerative and ethical farming practices. They specialize in raising various livestock animals and producing beef free range organic high-quality meat products that are then distributed through various channels, including direct-to-consumer meat delivery services.
Here are some key points about White Oak Pastures and its approach to sustainable agriculture and meat delivery:
- Sustainability and Regenerative Agriculture: White Oak Pastures is a pioneer in regenerative farming. They prioritize land regeneration, biodiversity, and sustainable farming techniques. The farm operates under a holistic model that seeks to restore and maintain the ecosystem’s health, focusing on the well-being of both the land and the animals.
- Animal Welfare: The farm places a strong emphasis on animal welfare. Their livestock, including cattle, sheep, pigs, and poultry, are raised in a pasture-based system. This means that the animals have access to open fields, fresh air, and are treated with care and respect throughout their lives.
- Meat Products: White Oak Pastures produces a wide variety of meat products and butcher boxes, including grass-fed beef, pastured poultry, pork, lamb, and rabbit. These meats are known for their exceptional flavor and quality. The animals are raised on a natural diet and are free from antibiotics and hormones.
- Direct-to-Consumer Meat Delivery: White Oak Pastures offers a meat delivery service, allowing customers to purchase their products online and have them shipped directly to their doorstep. This approach enables consumers to access high-quality, ethically raised meat products conveniently.
- Certifications: The farm has earned several certifications that demonstrate their commitment to sustainability and animal welfare, including the Global Animal Partnership (GAP) Step 4 certification. This signifies that they meet or exceed high animal welfare standards.
- Education and Outreach: White Oak Pastures is also involved in education and outreach, hosting farm tours and workshops to raise awareness about sustainable farming practices and regenerative agriculture. They aim to inspire and educate others on the benefits of these approaches.
- Economic Impact: Beyond its commitment to sustainability and ethical practices, White Oak Pastures has had a positive economic impact on the local community, providing jobs and contributing to the revitalization of the area.
In summary, White Oak Pastures is not just a meat delivery company but a holistic and sustainable farming operation that champions regenerative agriculture and ethical treatment of animals. Their meat delivery service is an extension of their commitment to providing high-quality, responsibly raised meat products directly to consumers, making it accessible to those who value sustainable and ethical farming practices.
Carnivore Club: A Delight for Meat Enthusiasts and meat of the month lovers
Carnivore Club has earned a reputation for delivering artisanal and handcrafted meats right to your doorstep. With a variety of curated boxes available, there are meat subscription boxes worth it’s a dream come true for meat enthusiasts.
While you can explore their offerings at Carnivore Club, the exact selection may vary depending on your location.
What we are most excited about:
We love the“Complete box and serving board combo” on sale right now for only $99.99 This offering delivers right to your door, everything you need to host your own charcuterie night! p
This Carnivore Club Combo comes with everything you need to make an amazing charcuterie board.
- ✔️ CHARCUTERIE LOVER BUTCHER BOXES: Each box includes 2 handcrafted cured meats from top artisans PLUS 3-4 complementary pairings, such as mustard, olives, crackers, cheese, jams, dried fruits, nuts, and pickled goods
- ✔️ SERVING BOARD + KNIFE SET: 100% Organic Moso Bamboo Serving board fully equipped with a subtle ‘hide-and-slide’ drawer that holds 4 Stainless Steel Cheese Knives, 4 Serving Forks, 2 Slate Markers, and 2 Chalk Pencils for labeling the various meats and cheeses!
- ✔️ MEAT VARIETY: We feature items like Spanish Chorizo, Hungarian Salami, Prosciutto Americano, Sliced Beer Salami, French Rosette de Lyon Salami, Italian Sausage, Pepperoni, and more!
- ✔️ GIFTING EXPERIENCE: We understand the importance of a Great Gifting Experience, that’s why this Gourmet Meat Sampler comes uniquely packaged in a Red Carnivore Club themed Gift Box + with an all-inclusive Meat & Cheese Serving Board
- ✔️ GIFT OCCASIONS: All foods are shelf stable and ready to eat, making this a perfect gift of butcher boxes for any occasion – Perfect For Birthday’s, Valentine’s Day, Father’s Day, Christmas, Condolences Gift Basket, Hosting, Social Get-Together, Family Dinners, Easter, Thanksgiving, Mother’s Day, and so much more!Click here to learn more and purchase from Carnivore Club
Think Outside The Box
Meat Preservation: A Valuable Skill
Did you know you can can meat? It’s true. It’s a thing.
Butcher Boxes are not just for immediate consumption, but can be a meat canner’s best friend!
In the world of curated meat services, it’s also essential to consider long-term meat preservation. The ability to store and extend the shelf life of meats can be a valuable skill. If you’re interested in learning more about canning a meat subscription service at home, be sure to check out our article on canning the best meat su. We also recommend taking a look at the best canning kits for beginners in 2023.
In the ever-expanding market of butcher boxes, it’s crucial to select the right option that aligns with your preferences. Whether you prefer premium cuts, artisanal selections, or sustainable, locally sourced meat, there’s a subscription box for you. Companies like Farm Foods Market, Carnivore Club, and truLOCAL each have their unique offerings, catering to different tastes and values.
As the meat subscription box market continues to grow, it’s essential to stay informed about the latest trends and best practices. Consider your own dietary choices, sustainability concerns, and cooking style when choosing the best meat subscription box for you.
For more informative articles and tips on food-related topics, visit jannarobinson.com. Additionally, if you’re interested in learning how to can food, especially as a beginner, check out our beginner’s guide on how to can food for a comprehensive step-by-step overview 3.
In the world of online food services and butcher boxes, convenience and the quality meats are at the forefront. Choose the one that best suits your lifestyle. Savor the delight of delicious, premium meats delivered right to your doorstep.
- https://jannarobinson.com/best-three-canning-kits-for-beginners-in-2023 ↩
- https://jannarobinson.com/how-to-can-food-a-beginners-guide ↩